Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Note on Music (nyuknyuk)

In my lifetime, I think I've met maybe one person who I can say doesn't like music, and it isn't really that they don't like music, it's just that music doesn't interest him that much, he doesn't care about it.
Everyone else will tell you that they like listening to music, and usually, they have strong feelings about things like genres, artists, songs and styles.

I'm not any different, except for the part about strong feelings, of which I don't have many about anything. I've talked about music with lots of different people and have come to realize that not everyone feels the same way about the same things. Sure, most people will agree that music touches us in ways few things do. I dare say that a haunting song will tear at your soul more than a tragic picture (though some people are more visual, so perhaps it's individual). But when listening to music, our focus can change our perception and opinions.

For example: I am musically handicapped. I can't do jack, I can't read music, I can't sing, at best, I can hold a rhythm, which makes me great at Guitar Hero, and not good for much else. Does this affect how I hear music? Well, my lack of knowledge on the mechanics of music certainly does. If I'm listening to a song, I can't tell you what type of instrument is playing specifically or how they are harmonizing, but I wouldn't be listening for that anyway.

I listen to music for the entertainment and for the emotional experience. I like songs based on how they make me feel. This has it's ups and downs. For example, putting my ipod on shuffle is really aggravating because while I like all the songs on there, I'm not interested in them all the time. Certain times call for certain types of songs, which is why when I make playlists, they are based on an emotion or mindset (sleepy, hyper, pumped, etc) instead of a genre.

Also, I can listen to really crap music. Well, let me rephrase: some artists/bands that I like are not what you'd consider high caliber musicians. I am aware and okay with this and most people don't get on my case for it because I recognize the lack of musical awesomeness. But I like listening because it does something for me, USUALLY because I'm listening to the words. Obviously, words are my life, I think in words (believe it or not, not everyone does) and they are always my focus.
Other people couldn't repeat the lyrics of their favorite songs because they are focused on the music. To them, the voice is just another instrument. In some ways, I think this is really cool because usually I trust these peoples opinions of what makes a musician 'good', since they tend to be more critical. Other people are all about the mechanics, the how of the song, breaking it down into pieces and then putting it back together again in their mind. Again, I think this is awesome. I don't feel bad for not thinking like they do, I think it takes all sorts and the music industry depends on people having different tastes (or no taste as this years AMA's showed me)
Now to me, I don't like saying 'good' or 'bad' because really, it all depends on what you're going for and things like this are highly subjective.
Music is also highly tied to memory, which can ruin songs for you (I still can't listen to 'You Could be Happy' by Snow Patrol) or turn mundane songs into heartfelt sagas. So a lot of my favorites are based on association, which doesn't affect other people as much sometimes.

So here is a list of a few of my favorites and why. Maybe it won't interest you, but then again, maybe you'll gain a little perspective, and most importantly think about why YOU like what you like.

Favorite vocalists (this is mostly focused on the voice, though I admit, the music is always important, these are people who stick out to me for their vocal talent):

Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia): Power Rock (or as I prefer to call it, Epic Rock) is something I've only recently discovered, but it's easily one of my favorite genres. I admit, almost all P.Rock vocalists sound basically the same, mostly because they are emulating the two rock deities Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickinson (who should come up in the list later but just take my word for it, he was amazing), and Tobias isn't that much different, but he's still my favorite. More on my love for Avantasia later.

Jonothan Davis (KoRn): For some reason, KoRn is considered to be in the same genre as Linken Park. This makes no sense to me, because I'm pretty sure one could EAT the other. Regardless of your feelings on this band (who admittadly swear a lot and do more than a few covers of things that don't need to be covered), Jon Davis is an awesome vocalist. He plays to his strenghts; this doesn't mean he always sounds the same or never explores new areas, but he usually sounds pretty solid and when you have as distinctive a voice as his, it makes a great instrument.

Tim McIlrath (Rise Against): With the exception of Epic Rock, I really like distinctive voices and Tim McIlrath definitely has one, even if 'distinctive' means sounding like you chain smoke for about two hours before recording. As you probably have, or will notice, most of my favorites are dudes. It's true, I like guy voices more than girls usually. Rise Against will also come up later in the list, so stay tuned.

James Hetfield (Metallica): Dude. Metallica. Come on, you knew he was going to be here. The band that spawned a thousand copies and easily the second most influential band after the Beatles, Metallica has tons of strengths (my inner drummer worships Lars), but for me, the first thing that drew me in was James' singing. The instant you hear a word, you know who it is. And that is sheer greatness.

Geoff Tate (Queensryche): Keeping with the classics and with the distinctiveness, I can't leave out Geoff Tate, since he has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard, and I love the 'ryche, not just because to me they represent some of the greatest sounds of the '80s but becasue I have a ton of good memories tied up with them.

David Draiman (Disturbed): It isn't really fair for me to put this up here because I haven't heard THAT much Disturbed and this is another recent discovery. I put it here because I think that if you can sing a beautiful melody and then yell at the end and have it make TOTAL sense, you rock.

Ville Valo (HIM): This is the part where I look down and kind of blush because HIM is not what you would call great music. They don't suck, it's just that they are very repetitive in their themes (probably because I don't think they really speak English), and they're kind of trite and not super original musically speaking, but I love the vocalist for having a voice that just sounds 'deep' to me.

Davy Havok (AFI): When it comes to pretty guys, Davy pretty much wins at life.

Stephen Christian (Anberlin): Anberlin is gunna come up later too, so not going into too much detail here, but I think he has a really smooth voice and I'm usually pretty good at matching it so that will earn you lots of points.

OKAY GIRLS.

Sharon Del Adel (Within Temptation): Sharon is beautiful in and out and her voice is pure gorgeous. She has a huge range and always holds her own, regardless of style. She sounds great in duets and has performed on a lot of other artists albums (she was in the first two Avantasia, one by Ayreon, the list goes on) but always outdoes whoever she's singing with. I hope angels sing as well as she does, cause otherwise heaven won't be as nice.

Linda Eder: Mezzo-soprano, which basically means you have a beautiful voice with enough power to fuel shoot a rocket into space. If I could sound like anyone, it would be her.

Tarja Turunen (Nightwish): Okay, so she was kind of a bitch. But no one would deny that Tarja had an amazing voice, and I would argue, sang 'Phantom of the Opera' way better than Sarah Brightman did. But maybe that's cause I don't like Sarah Brightman.

Amanda Palmer (formerly of the Dresden Dolls): To me, Amanda Palmer is the queen of Avante Garde music. Not polished, not packaged, just raw emotion and a piano. 'Runs in the Family' is a brilliantly written song, and while I miss the synergy that the Dresden Dolls had, Amanda stands fine on her own.

Kicking it old school: Annie Lennox, Bonnie Tyler, Tina Turner...the greats.

Favorite Bands:

My Chemical Romance: I know they're Hot Topic popular. I don't care. I have a theory that if you make three solidly good albums, that makes you a good, if not great band. I love that all the albums have a purpose. The first two were part of a story (called 'concept albums') about a Bonnie and Clyde type team and the third one (arguably their best work), 'Black Parade' was about cancer and all aspects of living (or dying) with it. The vocalist, Gerard Way did all the artistic design and I really appreciate when bands have so much creative control (my inner rebellion against bands like N'sync and the other boy bands), especially when they write their own lyrics.

Coheed and Cambria: Speaking of concept albums, few do it like C&C. All albums (of which there have been a few) revolve around a single sci-fi story that's a mix of the Matrix and Star Wars. How awesome is that? Now a lot of people don't like Claudio Sanchez' voice, and I can understand that, it's different and not as palatable as others, but this is one of the few bands where I can just put them on and listen to every song they've ever done and be fine with it because there isn't a single one I don't like. Again, great writing, different types of sounds, intriguing story, these are the types of things that keep me interested.

Breaking Benjamin: One of the last glimmers of hope I have in modern music. BB can play on the radio without me hating them, because they are solid performers and, again, they don't have many songs I don't like.

Anberlin: "Cities" may have been one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Listening to this band just makes me happy, no matter how bad I felt before. Also, one of my only favorite bands who are 'Christian', followed by...

Demon Hunter: I don't like screaming music, I don't like really angry music unless I'm feeling angry and then I shouldn't be listening to it because it will just make it worse. But like Disturbed, I like Demon Hunter because it's melodic yet hard. 'My Heartstrings Come Undone' is one of those 'can listen to anytime' songs, while I fall asleep to 'Deteriorate' and headbang to 'Undying'.

Again, these are all run by dudes. Go figure. With the exception of goth rock (Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Evanescence), there aren't many female styles that appeal to me.

Oh man, my mind just died so I can't remember what else I was going to talk about. Besides, there's a ton here, and I don't want to overwhelm you. So...feel free to comment, add your own to the list, completely trash me and my bad taste, whatevs. Please. I don't like the lack of comments. It makes me sad.

~C

4 comments:

Mrs. Taft said...

I like melodic, lyrical hard rock/metal/hardcore. I think it's beautiful. <3

Shnarbelflavin said...

I love how music is so subjective(?)
i think that's the right word, where i can't say "this music sucks" or "that music sucks" because some other person will say of that same music"oh it's the greatest music of all time" and be serious and I'm on the floor in the fetal position clutching my bleeding ears screaming oh God why. It Demands a sovereign unity to the vast diversity
and i am the same way about shuffle we must have playlists based on nay planned for our impending moods.
It's funny i once went up to my 4th grade teacher, who happened to be talking to my music teacher, and asked her what does the word "moody" mean. they immediately looked at each other, large smiles, and agreed. She said to me,"Steve, you are moody". I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND*sniffle*, but I'm okay with that.

Aandail said...

I'm one of the ones who doesn't hear lyrics, just more music. It's very frustrating when certain people ask me to sing and I sit there about to sing a song I've heard a THOUSAND TIMES and can't remember anything but the melody. ARGH.

If I could have a female voice, I would wish for Sharon's. That woman is amazing.

Also, I don't think I have musical moods. I have musical urgings, but I think thats akin to how you're sometimes hungry for something randomly. I listen to songs I know I like, on shuffle, and am always watching when I'm not listening to my own music, for music i like that I don't know about (I see on TV or whatever). For example, I picked up some Feist yesterday, and it's not bad.

CrimsonWarrior said...

Good call on Geoff Tate, he's the man. What an amazing vocalist.